Thursday, March 7, 2013

Student Tattoos and Swimming Home from the Laundromat

I've been thinking about doing this for a while, and I finally took my camera to school for this purpose; I've been wanting to do a little photo project on some student tattoos. I'm sure some of you know that tattoos are pretty common down here in Samoa, and I have seen several students with some. I thought it would be cool to do a little creative photography with them. Several students did end up letting me take photos of their tattoos throughout the day. You get a variety here, but not many that are the traditional bands. Many shown here include names - last names and first names. Rather interesting. This is a selection to represent some of what I took on Thursday.








I also needed a photo of myself in my classroom for some WorldTeach stuff, so I figured today was a good day to set that up since I had a sei in my hair (the flower). Notice my three bottles of water I take with me to school everyday. Gotta stay hydrated :-)


After Zumba class, I decided to go do my laundry. I had been contemplating it all day. It's been rather rainy this week, and I knew Hannah got caught in the rain on the 5 minute walk home from the laundromat earlier this week. The rain held off for a while after I made it home, so I figured I might as well try it tonight. Oh boy did the rain pick up as my clothes were finishing. I decided it wasn't worth waiting for it to stop, as I had no idea how long it would last. Tossed my laundry bag over my shoulder, figured the clothes were wet (as I hang them to dry at home), and it's just water. A little water won't hurt me. Not like it's cold rain or anything. True Samoan experience, I tell you. It wouldn't be Samoa without all the rain. I looked like I had just finished taking another shower by the time I made it back home.

Also, it was dark by this point, and as I passed a few houses some dogs started barking up a storm, but luckily were up on a balcony. I mention this because I came home to find photos posted online of some bites my roommate/neighbor Melanie incurred today from some dogs that snuck up on her. Oye. Not fun. Some that broke skin. That's definitely one Samoan experience I can live without. Anyways, nothing to worry about, but figured I would mention it. One of those realities of where I currently live.

My week rapidly is closing, although Thursday seemed like a longer day. I felt fantastic when I woke up Thursday morning, by the way. Got that drowsy sick looking day out of my system and was nice and energized Thursday. Hope you all have a nice weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Those tatoos are very interesting. You look so cute behind your desk. I am glad those dogs left you alone!!! Stupid dogs.......

    ReplyDelete