Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Some Genuine People

I just realized this post I had ready to go for last week never got posted... Whoops... well, here it is now. Looking back at the last week of February.

Monday was a pretty smooth day in the classroom of Miss Boschen. Read a little water news article from American Samoa news to get things started. In case you are ever curious about some news in American Samoa, this is the website I usually check a few times a week: http://www.talanei.com/

Then, we worked on some notes. The basics of meteorology for my juniors and how fossils are formed and interpreted in terms of studying how organisms have changed over time. It's still so hard to make fourth period seem like it's worth it. I have to shout just to say some things I want to about the notes as it is so loud outside during lunch shifts. This is my big class of 40. A lot of them don't really pay attention to what I say and simply copy every single word I may display on the board. A bunch of mindless learning, and the environment makes it hard for me to make it better. Making do with what we can. They do a fine job of taking notes, I'll give them that.

I am thankful for one of my senior boys Steven, who has been sitting in the front row for quite a while now. He uses his brain every day! I can see him thinking about things, he contributes to the little discussion we have in class, and is genuinely fun to have in class. It's students like this that help make teaching a rewarding experience. I even told him today, "Thank you for using your brain," I want to make sure he knows how much I enjoy having him in class.

I walked to the intersection after school, and then a couple pulled over and asked where I was going. They said they would take me. They had crossed paths with me as they were going to ASPA on the Tafuna road, and then caught up with me on their way back out. Too hot to be walking they said, and they have picked up one of my roommates before, so they knew where I lived. Agnes and her husband Patient (English versions of hteir names). They both teach at Pava'ia'i Elementary School. This is the second couple who has been super kind to me that works at that school.

They pulled into a store, and Agnes said, "Come on Jessica, we're getting you something to drink since it's so hot." Went in and she also told me to grab some ice cream. She could see all the sweat on my back courtesy of my backpack. She suggested a Magnum bar, which is an ice cream bar that comes from Australia. Told me to grab something to drink, and I chose a lemon iced tea. She also wanted to get me some chips, but I didn't want or need chips. She had already been kind beyond my deserving. I drank a little of the tea on our way to Pava, and decided to enjoy my Magnum bar around 7:15 Monday night after having an apple and an orange for dinner. The calories balance. haha

I don't need people to buy me things, but they are so thoughtful. I love getting to know some of the genuine people of American Samoa. I had a giant smile on my face as they dropped me off. It's days like this that really make me appreciate American Samoa. These people were beyond kind, and I had just met them. Genuine people of American Samoa.

That reminds me. I completely forgot to mention running into someone on my walk to the Pastor's house Friday night to babysit. I hung around in Tafuna after school and then walked to Kokoland. I was walking down the Kokoland road, was still a few blocks away from my destination, but a lady offered me a ride. I respectfully declined as I was close and wanted to walk. Lucky thing I did. The guy Aaron I met on the boat ride over to Apia noticed me, and we chatted a bit before continuing on our way. His English isn't the greatest, but it was cool to finally run into him. It is a small island, but some times I am surprised by how little I do rerun into people.

Tuesday morning I had my chance to take a picture of Pati, my bus driver. One of the genuine people of American Samoa. He's the one that has waited for Hannah and I many mornings to take us all the way to school on his loop. We have been very thankful for him. I actually ran into him on Saturday when I was walking to the community college for Zumba. He was crossing the street to head to his church, and he chatted me up a bit. I might miss seeing him every morning, once I move. (Looks like we are moving Thursday after school, by the way.) I really like him framed through the bus door. This is so picturesque for here, and a great guy.



After school on Tuesday, I did some Yoga with a few of the girls and then had some downtime before a dinner with some friends. I did not attend Zumba class Tuesday afternoon. Since I've been into my camera lately, I decided to finally take some pictures of campus like I had been thinking. There is this nice view showing the mountains to the North. My classroom is down, back, and to the left from where this photo was taken.  This makes campus seem really pretty, when in reality there is often trash on the ground and vandalism throughout. Still a well built school. Nothing like what my high school. ha

We had been invited to a little spaghetti dinner at Samoa Baptist Academy, where a few other Americans volunteer to teach (not through WorldTeach). We had met a bunch of them back at the beginning of the year, and most of them come from southern states.These two brothers from the south actually work a non-profit called FieldHouse100 recruiting that helps students go to college while playing sports. One of the brothers is actually a guest speaker in my class on Wednesday, so I will tell you more about that later. Some good spaghetti, and they even left some of the sauce out with no meat for me. Oooh and yummy veggies and a delectable croissant. Also some nice conversation and a nice chill dinner under a fale in the area of Tafuna known as Happy Valley.


I've had some extra posts this week... Until next time :-) Keep on keeping on and be happy.

1 comment:

  1. There are sure alot of folks around here who could learn alot from the People of American Samoa! I just love the photo of the Campus, now I have a picture in my head of where you are everyday. PS...I am hungry for spaghetti and would kill for a croissant. There use to be a place in Columbus and I ate there almost every day when I worked in Columbus full-time it was Yougurt and Sandwich shop. I LOVED that place. I would have a small sweet treat and a yummy croissant sandwhich.......xoxo from your Aunt Kristin.......

    ReplyDelete