Sunday, March 10, 2013

Some Food Stories and 9 weeks of Insanity Complete

Friday morning woke up to it still raining, but it let up as I completed my workout for the morning. Did not stop raining completely, though, and we began our walk to school under a little drizzle. Walked about 10 minutes, when someone offered us a ride. Turns out this kind woman Yolanda lives rather close to us and her kids attend the school we live right next to. She went out of her way to take us to our school, and then insisted on buying us breakfast at McDonald's. I tried to tell her to just order me the hot cakes with a coffee, but she really wanted to get Hannah and I deluxe breakfasts. More food than either of us could handle, but it was really nice of her. So, we enjoyed our kind breakfast in my classroom and missed out on an individual box of cereal at the cafeteria. Oh well. haha

Did some grocery shopping after school at the wholesale place for our friends that teach on one of the outer island. We will be shipping a tote out to them within the next few weeks with all the stuff they asked for. As we needed a taxi to get their stuff to our place, it was a great opportunity for us to purchase a few items. We never go shopping here because it's a little inconvenient from where we live, and  we really didn't have the kitchen space for any of it before. We bought a 3-pack of some frozen Spinach pizzas, some frozen organic fruit juices (introduced to them way back at orientation), some yummy grapes, cheaper peanut butter, and some on-sale yogurt. 

Enjoyed one of the frozen pizzas for dinner Friday night. Saving the other two for who know's what random night. Weird to have a freezer to keep these in and an oven to bake them in.


I also had an itching for some chocolate chip cookies, and I knew the little Internet cafe five minutes walk from here sold homemade ones. 5-pack for $2. This place is right next door to what was Hannah and I's favorite place to enjoy breakfast on Saturday, and we were so excited to be living within such a short walking distance of it. I came to find Friday night that they closed this branch and will only have the one in town open. A little sad news, but not much we can do about it.


I also attempted baking some healthy and soft banana and peanut butter cookies, since we have an oven and real baking pans. Better than the attempt I made at the old place with the aluminum pans the girls had downstairs. I'm still not a good baker by any means, but I like to try every now and then. No sugar. Just bananas, peanut butter, and a little olive oil to grease the pan.

I completed my workout first thing Saturday morning after waking earlier than intended. Woke up at 5am, as my body is getting used to it, but laid there until 6. Too many dogs barking and roosters crowing to fall back asleep like I hoped, so decided I might as well wake up and get my exercise done. March, 9th... Here already. Wowza! 9 weeks, and I did not miss a single workout. Insanity program complete! Such a good feeling. I stuck to my goal and succeeded. Hard to believe I've been doing these workouts for 9 whole weeks. 9 weeks... Currently, my plan is to take a few weeks off from Insanity, but continue to wake up in the morning and do some other workouts and still go to Zumba 3 days a week. Then, after spring break I think I might begin the whole 9-week program again. That will then put me at the beginning of my final week in American Samoa. Goodness gracious. I also really enjoy doing the Insanity program. Crazy girl, remember :-) haha

Around 8:30 Saturday morning, Hannah and I decided to try the DDW Cafe in town for breakfast. Had lunch there a few times, and they did have good breakfast. Pancakes for me, per the usual. Not really much else to order on the menu for me, while Hannah enjoyed her country fried potatoes. It was rather chilly in that place, though. Wish I would have ordered the coffee rather than an iced tea. Will be doing so next time we go there. They have like 6 air conditioners running and ceiling fans galore. Put that on top of the multiple glasses of iced tea I go through, and I was chilly. Odd thing to say considering where I currently live.

Got a nice little 40 minute walk in outside and Skyped with my family for a bit before relaxing a little in the afternoon at the place. Saturday night we met up with some of our fellow volunteers and friends that teach at one of the Baptist schools for dinner at the Koko Bean, where I had the mashed potatoes with string beans (only thing I order there for food). Nice to get out of the house again for a little bit.

2 comments:

  1. Jessica, you are my hero! Insanity is so hard. I've been doing it for three weeks now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you baking up a storm :) Sounds like you got this down, but that does not surprise me one bit. And way to go on Insanity! That's awesome. Seth and Kathryn's shower was Sunday. Unfortunately, big storm, but we all made it home safe and sound. Miss you!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete