Sunday, February 3, 2013

Saturday and Sunday

Friday came and went pretty quickly. I went through some news articles with my students relating to the upcoming topic for the new week. I also got some good feedback on my presentation about SERVE and volunteering. It seems that many of our students didn't really understand what it meant to be a volunteer and why people do it. Definitely made me feel better about my week. I really enjoyed giving that presentation to the 100 or so students that day.

That night after my double workout, I decided I felt like a little movie. One of my students leant me Pitch Perfect, and it was pretty good. I had heard a few friends talk about it. I recommend it if you like movies with some singing in them. Hannah and I discussed some ideas for a Saturday outing Friday night, and we decided if it wasn't raining we would head East to relax after our long week.

I slept in Saturday morning, which doesn't happen often. I didn't wake up until 8am. How exciting! haha We grabbed a bus into town to eat some breakfast at Matai restaurant. I usually have pancakes there, but I was feeling oatmeal today. Yummy oatmeal with a giant glass of iced tea. Then, we grabbed an Eastside bus heading to Tisa's Barefoot Bar and Grill, one of the few places on island where bikinis and showing skin are socially acceptable. Seeing as how I did not bring my bikini, I went with my new dress I picked up in Apia, Samoa. We each had one of Candyman's specialty pina coladas, sat, chilled, and chatted for a few hours. Nice and relaxing and a good change of scenery. Also wasn't too bright out, which was nice.


We hitched a ride back into town as buses on the East side aren't very frequent. Then, we took a bus back to our humble abode in Pava'ia'i, where I completed month #1 of the Insanity program after an additional workout beforehand. Good feeling. One month in. Next week is "recovery week" focusing on some core cardio and balance. I will still be doing Zumba and some other exercises like I did throughout Month 1. Hard to believe I'm already done with Month 1.

After I came home from church on Sunday, Louisa came over and picked Hannah and I up to join them for the Superbowl, as she had invited us over. This is our Samoan family that we spent Christmas with. We had a nice and relaxing fiesta. She fried her own nacho chips from tortillas as she couldn't find nacho chips at the store, which made for some delightful nachos. mmm. She also made this casserole with beans instead of meat for me. Her aunt had made the casserole earlier that week - cheese, sauce, corn,b black beans, tomatoes, and hamburger. She decided to try it with refried beans instead of meat. How thoughtful. Good stuff. Also a nice cheese and cracker tray and relish tray with grapes. I haven't had good grapes in a few months, so that was exciting.


I even made some no-bake cookies to take along. It was the first time for all of them, and they thought they were good. They thought it was odd that there are cookies that don't requie baking. haha. Baking isn't my speciality, so this is a good option for me. I'm glad they enjoyed them. I didn't even have to bring any back home with me.

Only 6 of us in the house (Louisa, Tasi, Ioane, Nina, Hannah, and me), so it was a nice little family gathering. The guys shouted at the TV minimally, and I wouldn't even call it shouting. Well... maybe Tasi did a few times, but he was funny about it. It's just fun to go sit on their real couch and hang out for the afternoon, chat a little, and just relax. I'm really thankful for meeting them and being welcomed into their home.

Oh, I also noticed they had a scale at their house, and I figured I'd take the chance and see about how much weight I have really lost with my regular exercise and fairly healthy eating since moving down here. Looks like it may be close to 20 pounds if I remember my approximate weight before leaving correctly. I seriously had no intention of losing any weight, but I am really happy with the toned and healthy me. I feel much more sustainable in my eating habits in addition to my exercise this time around, too.

Been exercising almost every day for the past 5.5 months. Insanity month #2 coming up, a few more months on island with my exercise routines, and then keeping up with regular exercise no matter where I live next. Exercise has become part of my life, and I like being healthy. Knowing approximately how much weight I've lost gives me one more reason to keep the exercise up. I plan on looking more like the girl you can see in the photo at Tisa's than the girl that got on a plane for a tiny island back in July. Enough about my health kick for a while. Health kicks are fun, though!

Made it back to the apartment around 5:30 after the football game, relaxed a bit, got an hour of exercise in, and then sat down to catch up on some emails and my blog. Hope you all have a good week and enjoyed your weekend whatever you may have been doing!

Even on a tiny island in the South Pacific I can enjoy some American traditions like the Superbowl - not that I found the game too horribly exciting this time, not really cheering for either team, but just being with friends and enjoying it together was a good time for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment