Thursday, February 7, 2013

Timely Thoughts and Good News

This post is a bit all over the place, but I enjoyed writing it.

Some days I wonder what it would be like to teach in a high school back in the States. Would my perception of some of the behavior here be different? What about if I had been a lazy or bad student in high school? Would that change some of my perceptions? Do I view some things as common sense because my brain automatically thinks of them that way? Or are some of my students truly lacking in some of it? Through discussions with some of my fellow volunteers it would appear that this is an interesting situation down here.

What has me thinking about this you ask... Well, we really only have a little over 3.5 months left of the school year, so I am really starting to feel the downhill slide. I will be finished with the Insanity program in one month, administer some mid-terms, go on spring break, finish a few more months (a shorter quarter than this current one, give finals, and then be on a plane back to Nebraska to be back in time for my cousin's wedding. Wowza.

Quick sidestory: I am officially at the halfway mark for the 9-week Insanity program. Month one complete, on recovery week (which still involves exercising, just not so intense), and then month two starts up which is harder than the first. I am mighty determined. No reason I won't complete it, and then I will continue to exercise regularly til the day I fly home and continue wherever I am.

I revisited the SMART goals with my students that we set first week of the semester. I brought back up my example of completing the Insanity program for the health of my mind and body in addition to my regular exercise routine. Then, I had them reflect on progress they have made with their goals or if they need to adjust. We will revisit them again at the completion of my Insanity program, and then probably again at the end of the semester. Nice update on a life skill lesson on Thursday.

Back to all my thoughts and questions in the first paragraph... Students were really getting on my nerves on Tuesday. We were finishing up some notes that we had started on Monday. This is not the first time I have given a lecture and asked them to take notes. It was their grade for the day, and it's usually pretty obvious that you should take some notes if the teacher puts in an effort to write some things on the board or display them on the projector. Or so I thought... I don't remember sitting in class and having classmates constantly ask "Do we need to copy that down?"

I kept telling them listen to what I have to say about the slide before you start copying every single word down. I've tried to set examples before on some good note-taking skills, but it doesn't appear that they have sank in with everyone. No, you don't need to copy it all down. Yes, you should take some notes. It's how you will study for the exams. Some of my teachers didn't even have powerpoints like this; we had to just listen to them and take notes.

Do I just not remember students being like that when I was in high school? Did I not notice it because I just took the notes and kept busy?

Also, how hard is it to grasp the concept that we shouldn't move desks. The thoughts didn't even cross our minds back in high school. The desks were where they were unless the teacher asked us to move them for a particular activity. Sure, I understand the fans blow better in certain areas of my room, but come on you can sit here for 50 minutes and be okay. It's not that hot out. haha We actually have good air flow in my room.

That reminds me. I don't think these kids are ever happy with the weather. Either it's too hot or it's cold. There is no look how nice it is out today. Seriously, you've been living here all your life you should be used to the heat by now. Yes, I get it that even a barely cool day seems cold to you because it is always hot, but no matter what the weather is doing we are still having class and working. Not very often do we just take breaks. There is always something to do with a purpose.

I am making some generalizations here. There are students who do listen to me, I can see they are making connections, and I am making progress with some. Some days it may not seem like much, but I do know I making a difference in some of their lives if not all of them in some way. Simply being something different and just being here.

I feel really good about the guest speaker/different perspectives series that Hannah and I have been working together on. A good number of students seem to be enjoying the things I have been sharing and our guests. They are being introduced to so many different ideas, while we still get through some of the material we need to throughout the week on whatever level we happen to be at. This week, I gave a little Yoga presentation to a few of the classes as our guest speaker was only available after 11. Some of the students really enjoyed it and wanted to do more. It also simply introduced them to something different. Then, for the other classes we had a friend of ours we me on island who worked for company IT for a while and now does some teaching and independent work. Something different again for them.

I have to admit, as I find myself on this downhill ride I do have days where I find myself saying that this full-time classroom teaching is starting to wear me out. As I was finishing up my time at Morningside I had a feeling I might hop around a bit with service and jobs for a while. I really want to help people in different ways in different places. Ever since my presentation about SERVE and volunteering last week, I have become more excited again about what life may have in store for me next. I'm thankful for my time of service here in American Samoa and am trying to finish strong these last few months - touch a few more lives if I can, share some more experiences, introduce them to several ideas, make them think, and help some of them find excitement in whatever it may be. I get so excited when I talk about service.

I've been thinking about doing a little extra volunteering somewhere down here in addition to being a full-time volunteer, since I am rather passionate about volunteering. At my WorldTeach mid-service I learned more about the Boys and Girls Club of American Samoa and thought that might be a good thing to look into. I did some reading on their website finally this week and then headed over there after school on Thursday to get some more information and see if I could help out. Met the director, was given a tour by one of the mentors, and was given a form to fill out. This is an after school program for students, where they spend time working on homework with tutors, have some technology enrichment, and recreation. I'm turning in my paperwork tomorrow and see if they'll let me help out and be a little flexible with coming in to help when I can. Hope I can make it work. Why I am making myself more busy you ask? Just my nature I suppose. I'm used to having lots of things to do, but if I enjoy doing it - no problemo.  :)

Made it to Zumba class after that. Paid my $20 fee for the month. You know at first I contemplated not giving up $20 and forgoing Zumba, but I decided I do enjoy it and it adds a bit to my exercise routines for the week. Good news! Not only do I get Zumba twice a week now, but three times a week with that monthly fee. Yay! More bang for my buck. Peteru and Erica decided to add an extra class in during the week. I was beyond excited when I heard this.

Came home after that and completed my Insanity workout for the day. I decided to do the one for tomorrow, too, as I will not be coming home after school. I thought about trying to do it in the morning, but not really my thing and I didn't want to accidentally wake anyone up before they were ready.

Why am I not coming back home after school on Friday? Hannah and I are heading to visit our friend and fellow volunteer Jessica Plon who lives on the East side of the island in Fagitua. We've been talking about visiting her for months, and we're making it happen this weekend. I've been through her village before and stopped at the house once, but I am looking forward to seeing around the area  some more, taking some photos, and just hanging out. I already have my stuff for the weekend packed and ready to go.

Lastly, I did not have to pay for a bus home at all this week. School bus Monday, friend that came to speak on Wednesday but saw us on Tuesday, fellow Samoan teacher Wednesday  and trusty Zumba instructor on Thursday. Even got a free ride in the morning on Thursday with a lady that lives across the street from us. She took us to the Tafuna intersection, but it was a really nice morning to walk to school. No pounding sun and heat. We even decided to sit and chill at McDonald's for a bit while I enjoyed a coffee and Hannah a soda. Both of us were ready to go for class, so might as well not chill in our classrooms for once early in the morning.

Hope you all enjoyed my random thoughts and have a splendid weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment