Thursday, February 21, 2013

One Chaos of a Post

Be prepared for a post that goes all over the place. I wrote different pieces of it on different days as ideas were fresh in my head, and then things simply seemed chaotic on Thursday. So here's one chaos of a post. I can't be 100% organized all of the time. haha

Tuesday was going just fine until 1st period. Not one of my finer moments. They would not be quiet for anything as a whole. Sure, some quiet kids, but I was there. We were not getting anywhere with the lesson, so I stopped, we tried to discuss why it was so hard for them to be respectful sometimes. I was only asking them to be quiet and follow along for 15 mins. Lots of science. I filled out my first referral form for a student, which I had to give to the counselor. She was directly rude as I was simply answering a question of hers, and then would giggle when I was calling other students out, she then laughed when I moved to her desk. Said either you go to the chair now or you're going to the office. She waited to long, so office it was. At this point, I didn't want to walk her to the office, so I just turned in the paperwork after the bell rang. Got the students sort of going on their assignment, not many did it I'm sure. Anyways, like I said not one of my finer moments but had a smile on my face when they left and some apologized. Did my Insanity, went to Zumba, and then had some time to do some reading for fun and relaxing before heading to bed.

I decided that I was going to wake up at 4:45am on Wednesday to do my hour Insanity workout before getting ready for school. I had plans to join Erica and Teru (Zumba instructors) for a Cross Fit workout after Zumba Wednesday. I decided I wouldn't want to triple it up all after school, so finish one in the morning.

Also, after seeing how that went, I figured it might not be such a bad idea to make that my regular routine. Insanity in the morning, and then Zumba or another workout after school. Why make this routine? Well, some days I do miss having a little extra time at night while there is still sunlight to read on the porch, and that's not really possible doing Insanity after Zumba. Also, I know that it will not always work out in my life to exercise in the afternoon. Other responsibilities may come up, and it is nice to always know if you do it first thing in the morning you won't miss out on it later.

I've never really thought of myself as much of an early morning exercise kind of girl. I usually struggle to make my muscles move so quickly that early. My brain is good, but my muscles are slacking. Not the case Wednesday morning. Perhaps because I was so motivated to do it. I woke up before the alarm, crawled out of bed when it sounded, brushed my teeth, and got the hour workout in. Good feeling actually. I think I can handle doing this in the morning regularly. Went to bed a little earlier, so I still had plenty of sleep.

Insanity Wednesday morning was the start of great day as a teacher, and a great day in general. First period was pretty well-behaved. Might help that it was their first class rather than their last class of the day, and maybe some of what was said yesterday sunk in. Second period ran smoothly, as well. Had to send a few students to the time-out chair during third period. Fourth period even earned 5 mins. free time at the end and actually remained in their seats until the bell rang. Finally, sixth period went off without a hitch.

We were discussing the difference between weather and climate in Earth Science. Simple notes with some nice diagrams, a little discussion, and an application assignment. I'm trying to get better about helping them apply the information we learn. I remember thinking in science classes how I sometimes felt I was just learning a bunch of information to learn the information. Here is how you can use the information - much more helpful, practical, and applicable.

After a good Zumba workout Wednesday afternoon, I joined my instructors and a few others for a Crossfit workout at the Army Reserve. Showed up to find we were exercising in the parking lot. I was the only palagi minus the leader, and he had 10 exercises scheduled for the workout that night: crunches, push-ups, jogging, lunges, handstand push-ups, water can presses, wall sits, pull-ups, tire and tire flips. I was just as bad as I remember at pull-ups. Haven't tried doing one of those since we took the President's fitness test with Mr. Mimmick in (maybe) 6th grade P.E. Oye. I'm in decent shape, but my arms are still mighty puny. haha

The tire flips were fun to do. For some reason I felt pretty cool flipping a tractor tire over and over, lifting form the knees. We rotated in groups of 4. Even though we didn't all know each other, the group was good about encouraging one another and pushing. Each exercise station was done for 1 minute with little breaks in between as we rotated.

After the 10 exercise circuit, we set up for Tabata abs. Erica had mentioned this to me when she invited me to join them for the Crossfit after Zumba. 8 rounds of 20 seconds with 10 seconds rest in between. I was doing pretty good until round 5, but kept going as best I could. Worked a different part of my abs, which was good. Most of these exercises I could have done at home, minus the tire flips, pull-ups, and the Tabata abs we did require a partner. It was good to change it up a bit. My stamina for the jogging portion and wall sit is so much better than it used to be.

Woke up feeling a little sore from some of it Thursday morning, but that means I was working muscles I haven't in a while. Woke up right away when my alarm sounded at 4:45am and got the Max Recovery workout on my Insanity schedule. Definitely could feel the muscles working. Reminder when I say recovery, that simply means it's a break from the cardio, but we're still exercising muscles. I was yawning throughout my workout, maybe as I fall asleep quite when I wanted to, but I'm adjusting. I still made it through the whole workout, got ready for school, and even had time for a cup of hot tea before heading out.

So, our regular bus driver was running a little later the past few days, and I had a feeling he might again. Yeah, time kept passing, and we ended up getting on the red Tafuna bus that circles around 6:55 or 7ish. Start of a weird morning. Got to school and it seemed a little quieter than usual, as Wednesday had, which I noted. Hmmm... not sure why. The streets also seemed rather quiet - not as many cars as usual out and about yet. Finished some lesson stuff when I got to school finally at 7:25 and grabbed breakfast at 8. On my way back to my classroom, I noticed a circle of boys that seemed to be arguing a bit with security right there calling someone else on her walkie talkie. Hmmm... Then, apparently the bell rang at 8:10. 8:10, why? Oh because there are some fights going on. One of my good students told me he saw a bunch of cops when he made it to school. There have been more fights again recently. I still didn't start my material until 8:30, as my students started trickling in and were remaining quiet. I was so confused because I didn't hear the bell ring at all. I was also told that some students were throwing rocks at a bus the day before. The principal came over the PA and said something about how expulsion was going to happen, which I also read in our daily bulletin for the past few days. Fighting on and off campus. Tafuna is starting to live up to its reputation again it seems.

During 2nd period, I ended up filling out my 2nd referral for the week. Oye. As the students were working, next thing I know one of them is across the room shoving another one and not letting go. She did not stop when I asked, and I had to push her off. She went back to her desk, finally. I came over asking what was going on, and she did not respond and blatantly ignored me. Mumbled that the other student said something bad about her. I asked her to tell me more because that behavior is not acceptable in my classroom. Continued to ignore me. I continued that she needed to tell me exactly what was said or I was writing her a referral. Stared down with an attitude, and I said, "Alright, that's it." Filled out my second referral for the year and the week, actually. Following through, though. I hope that the other students are taking note how I'm continuing to follow through and am not putting up with some crap anymore. Just not worth my effort some days.

I did a little lesson on one way of taking notes to all my classes today - the outline style. I picked a chapter in the textbook, and did the first topic of the first section with them, explaining my thought process and how the notes were organized. I explained I wanted to make sure I was introducing them to some different ways of taking notes, as it is a good skill to have and can simply help with your thought processes and organization. Then, I let them continue working on the chapter individually. Many chose to sit there and not really do it as I imagined, but I've learned that I can't keep them all on task all the time. They want to make that choice, then they have also chosen to have a lower grade.

Started doing this on my white board for my first couple classes, but I finally gave up on my white board as my markers are pretty dried out. I decided I don't feel like buying new ones. Not really worth it at this point when I have plenty of chalk and I don't do that much writing anymore, thanks to the lovely projector. I type most things and display it. During lunch, some boys helped me turn all my desks around so they were all facing the chalkboard again. Plus, I decided it was about time to change up the classroom a bit anyway.


I would walk around every now and then as they working, but I also got some grading and lesson prep done at my desk as they worked. Fourth period seemed to be doing pretty well overall, but then at at the end of fourth period I have a student pointing out to me that someone broke the wood part off a desk. Grrr. I noticed it was looking flimsy in the morning, but why would one just pull it off? Seriously?! It is also virtually impossible for me to watch all 40 students every minute of every class period. That's ludicrous, so I didn't actually catch anyone doing it as it usually goes. This lack of respect for property really bugs me sometimes. I've said that before. These desks are rather sad to begin with, but then some decide it's okay or funny to make them even worse. I got rid of the wood piece and decided this could be my new timeout chair. Is what it is. If I find students continue to break them, then we are sitting on the floor for the rest of the semester. I hope this day doesn't come, but I will follow through if necessary.


This was the desk I had been using as the timeout chair before, which happens to be rather sad looking. It did have a back at the beginning of the year. Really, students? Really? They are desks. What did they ever do to you besides let you sit on them rather than the floor? Enough on that rant.


My 2nd to last class of the day comes in and are jabbering about how we aren't having 1st period, and I ask why would we not. They replied because of the fight, maybe. What? Well, then getting closer to the bell ringing we starting having some announcements over the phone talking about things after school. After school? Maybe they are dropping the last class of the day. At this point, I'm alright with that. That class doesn't always go so well. haha Then, there we had it... the bell rang three times signaling the end of the school day rather than two for the end of a period. Then, an announcement comes over saying we released early because some teachers had a workshop. I'm telling you, just all part of the chaos that is Tafuna High School.

Some of my students and a few of their friends came by shortly there after for some yoga. We got a nice little session in, and I decided we should take a picture as I had my camera with me. The two on the left and the one on the far right are in my Marine Science class. The one on the right is also the student that joined me for Zumba last week. All part of our little unofficial yoga club. There are some others who have been in before.


While we were doing the cobra pose, I found myself looking at this cool frame. My photographer's eye found a good one. I've been wanting some creative shots of my classroom, but I never thought about noticing one while I was down in cobra position. haha When I say I my photographer's eye I am referring to how I often feel like I am constantly walking around with a picture frame as I look. Thanks to it, I captured this photo toward the end of my chaotic Thursday.


This one isn't quite as cool, but I still like the idea of feeling like it is taken from the perspective of a student sitting in a desk. Especially, at this transition of back to the chalkboard phase.

Forgot to mention my roommates and I had a meeting with our Field Direcor, as she had been looking at moving us to different units. Yes, we only have about 3 months left, but for many reasons it was looking like a good idea. Got a message about 3:15, that I needed to come sign some paperwork for the new place either Thursday or Friday. I said I'd head over right away as I had time for Zumba. That meant walking about 20-25 mins in the 90 degree sun today. Warm one today and I was dripping some sweat when I got there. Should be moving by March 1st, and we will be closer to school. I can probably even walk the whole way in about 30-35 mins, which is exciting! More details on that as it unfolds and takes place.

As I was walking to the gym for Zumba class after signing some paperwork, I sweated even more. I walked past a few guys, and they both said "hot today, huh?" haha yeah. Guess that means you aren't missing the beads of sweat that are dripping off my face and the pool forming on my shirt. haha Decently sweaty before Zumba started. Great workout, though! Extra sweaty thanks to the heat, and I could really feel my abs after that Tabata workout at Crossfit. I also could still feel some of my other sore muscles. Good sore. Like I mentioned above, that means I hit some areas that haven't been working as much lately. Cousin Nina gave me a ride home, as she made it for class again. We are planning on attending a Zumbathon Saturday morning. 2 hours of Zumba starting at 6:30,  here we come. I haven't been to a Zumbathon since that first one I attended.

Hope you're head didn't spin too much as you jumped around this chaos of a post. Have a great weekend, everyone! I've heard lots about the snow around home. Funny to think about snow when I'm sweating. haha Lots of love to you all.

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow woman....all that exercise talk has me exhausted!! :) hehehe. I am sorry you have to put up with so much crap now and then but it looks like are handling everything just fine, which doesn't surprise me one bit! :) Lots of hugs my dear......

    ReplyDelete