Monday, October 8, 2012

Three Day Weekend

Friday was another successful smooth day in the classroom continuing my lesson on the states of matter with my Juniors and finishing discussion on cephalopod basics with my seniors. Left school a little early. I even had time to finish my lesson plans for the next week and turn them in already. That was a great feeling, especially with this three day weekend ahead of me. Headed to the market for First Friday for some dinner with fellow volunteers, got a ride home with some guys who work at the Culinary Academy restaurant. One had a really cool story about moving here from Independent Samoa and how much he enjoys his job. Definitely going to have to stop at the restaurant for some food, had been wanting to, their hours just don't work with my schedule so well. Gonna make it happen at some point, though.

Saturday morning headed to Leone for a hike with a group of us from Sliding Rock to Fagatele Bay. The map said it was about a 1.2 mile hike one way. Some steep spots going toward Fagatele, but I can definitely tell I'm getting in better shape. I really enjoyed this hike. Ample time on the trail in the trees, with a few spots where there was a nice view of the ocean with a cool breeze. Right up my alley. Once we made it to Fagatele Bay, the rest of the group swam, but I didn't feel like swimming. I decided to hike the trail back by myself, a good place to think. Was in a thinking mood. Some of the others were going to go back another way. Great hike! You know I like hiking :-) Well, I generally just like walking around in nature, taking it all in and letting my mind wander, think, and enjoy.

This is a view at the spot that is known as "Sliding Rock" in Leone. The trail we took is a bit hidden if you don't know to look for it. No sign on this end.

Cool cracks in the rock. I took this photo by holding my camera lens down at the level of the surface.

Along the trail we saw several of these coconut shells tied to trees. Ended up deciding that they were some sort of trail markers, perhaps. This trail was made by NOAA, who manages Fagatele Bay - the National Marine Sanctuary.

A beautiful papaya tree I saw along the way (we were around the area where there are remnants of an old village).

I took some time to do some of my botanical shots - up close fun angles of some plants. Here is one, but I took several more.

I really like these trees, and the water was a different blue in the background on my hike back.

This was a really neat spot that we sat at enjoyed for a while amid the hike. Reminded a few of us of some sites we saw on the little island of Anu'u.

Came home after my afternoon hiking adventure, had some dinner with Hannah, just chilled, and chatted with some of the girls.

Went to church Sunday morning and spent most of the afternoon relaxing and taking it easy out on the porch. I also finished reading Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Alborn. A really great book! An inspiration telling a true story. Short little book I had brought with me and had been meaning to read for a while. I recommend it!

Woke up Monday to find my friend Mike had uploaded some photos he took the weekend we had went to Anu'u. I completely forgot he had taken this photo of Andrea, Frank, and I (R-L).


Hannah and I had planned the night before to just head into Utulei and find a place to just sit and enjoy the ocean view. We got off the bus, checked out a campaign party going on for a bit, walked to the post office, stopped in a few shops, and then parked ourselves at Sadie's by the Sea, where we drank several glasses of iced tea, shared some lunch, and had some delicious dessert. Spent three ours just sitting, relaxing, and chatting at an outdoor table. Really glad we did this. As we chatted, I found I had a list of things I wanted to do when we came back home. Had to be a little productive this weekend, although I had already finished my lesson plans for the week.

Had a productive late afternoon/early evening writing my mid-term exams and taking care of some business. Working out was on my list of things to do when I came home. "Tight buns and Killer Legs" and a set of abs followed by jogging up Kenko Hill. Up until today, anytime I jogged up the hill I jogged to the guys' driveway then walked to where the pavement ended (so only jogged maybe 3/4 of the way up). Today, it was feeling really good jogging up, so I figured I might as well go all the way. Made it! Walked back to their driveway, stopped and did another set of abs, jogged most of the way back down, until I decided to sprint back up a small chunk three times in a row before finishing the descent. Endorphins were kicking! Finished with one more set of abs at home before calling the workout complete.

Off to help make burritos for Pava'ia'i girls' family dinner. Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Those shots are Beautiful Jess!! Love them! Sounds like a perfect relaxing weekend. I could use one of those...always going going going :)

    ReplyDelete