Monday, October 15, 2012

Friday through White Sunday

Did my workout and jog up the hill after school on Thursday. Then told myself in order to make my goal of 5 days in a row of jogging up that hill that I was going to have to do it in the morning, as I would be home too late from the football game. I did it. Jogged up about 6am, showered quick, and got ready for school. Although it was a bit rough, as my body is not used to exercise in the morning, I made my goal for the week.

Finished off the coasting week with the all of my classes but one handling work time/ study time well on their own. I've been wearing my hair in a little bun a lot lately. Buns are commonly seen down here and the norm. My hair has finally grown out enough to the point where I'm able to make it all stay up. It's a rather small bun for now, but a few of my girl students commented on it a couple times this week.


School ended early Friday unexpectedly, ending after 6th period. This didn't really affect my classes at all as 7th period is my prep period. Although, given the way 6th period behaved Friday I wished for a bit the bell could have rang 50 minutes earlier. haha

I really didn't have anything to do, as I am caught up on my grades, so I left school at 2:30 myself and headed for Nu'uuli Falls. Nice little journey in my flip-flops - the one day I didn't bring my Keens. Learned that lesson, but it actually wasn't that bad since I've been on that trail many times. Had shorts on under my skirt, so I was able to ditch the skirt when I made it to the trail. One of the teachers picked me up after I had walked about halfway to the trail head, which was nice. Warm Fridy afternoon. Took the little trail back to the Falls, swam a bit, and then just sat there and enjoyed one of my favorite places on the island.

Headed for some dinner about 5pm, and then caught a bus to the football field for the games. Both JV and Varsity won, and the 1st half of the Varsity was a bit more exciting than they have been thus far. Still won by plenty of points, but a closer game this time.

Some students in the stands:

View of the mountain behind the scoreboard:

The boys were sporting some pink Friday night for Breast Cancer Awareness:

I actually stood on the sidelines for half of the Varsity game this time for some photos. Got a few good action shots. Obviously the lighting was lacking as this was a night game, and I do not have my external flash here. It was fun to be on the sidelines again, as I did this frequently in high school, and some in college. I felt rather small on that sideline though with all these Samoan football players. haha

Got a ride home with the principal, and we made a stop at the school gym before heading home. The team always gets back together here, and it was a cool thing to witness. The coaches talk to the boys, they sang a song, and the principal said a few words before the boys had some dinner. I didn't realize they did this after every game until now.

Saturday morning headed to the post office with Hannah as she was expecting some packages from home. We stopped at the Matai Restaurant in Fagatago first for a good breakfast. I had pancakes and the giant cup of coffee like last time. Saturday morning waiting in line for your packages is interesting. We met up with Dan, who lives down that way (so they are the ones with our box key). All of us volunteers share a box together. We get all the yellow slips (just like home) from the box, and then head to the back of the post office. You hand them over, and then wait in this little room until they call out your number, then we go grab the boxes. Little different from back home, but this is the one post office for the whole island.

I got a few cards from some of my friends. We've been writing back and forth like pen pals. From day one in my room here, I've been hanging some up on my wall with a few other things in my bedroom. My decorations, you could say. I feel like I'm living in a teenager room again. haha Let's see how full my wall is by the end of the year. It's fun :-)

Spent the rest of the day Saturday at the apartment, relaxing, reading, chatting, and did my workout. Tight buns and killer legs followed by a jog up the hill. Yeah, made it 6 days in a row! Past the goal of 5.

Sunday morning Skyped with my Mom, Dad, and brother

White Sunday! White Sunday is a tradition here, basically a program by the children and youth at church, where they all wear white. All the roommates came with me to the church I've been attending, and it was cool to experience. Brought me back to the days of our Sunday School programs back in Newman Grove. They even sang one song I knew every word to that I remember singing when I was their age - "Standing on the Promises".

Here's a few photos of the children.

This is Jenna, Pastor Scot's daughter.


Then, there were two baptisms that took place outside for two young men becoming official members of the church. This was a cool experience for me, something I was hoping to see after I learned last week that this church practices full immersion baptisms. Didn't take long, but it was cool to witness.

Finally, we had the big traditional lunch afterwards. Good food and fellowhip.

Relaxed at home for the afternoon, and Skyped with my cousin Seth in Houston, who is getting married in June! Super exciting. I also Skyped with my friend Karena in Lincoln. Then, decided to go back to church for evening service. I am so glad I did! They had "family night". Families took turns going up front, sharing a little something, and then leading a song. There were some really good and heartfelt stories, and you can see how much this church family means to all of the members. So, I ended up being gone for another 3.5 hours, but it was a cool thing to be a part of before heading home and to bed.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment