Monday, October 22, 2012

Silence, Dogs, and Champions

First, here is a photo of my rearranged room as promised. The desks are in groups of 4, and my colorfully redone quote is above the chalkboard.


When we arrived Friday morning, the principal said we would be receiving a present and to pay attention to the bells. Sounded like school would be releasing early. I didn't have anything too exciting planned for Friday since we had just finished mid-terms anyway. I ended up trying a silent tactic on my students Friday. Not necessarily because my throat hurt and was a bit raspy, more so because I wanted to show them that we could be accomplish things without talking. I wrote all of my directions on the board, which included ridiculous things like put both of your hands on your head when you are ready. We ended up with a list of words dealing with science on the board, exactly like I wanted. I copied them down and will be using them for Tuesday's class. Here's a fun quote and food for thought:

"Silence is also speech."

School released about 15 minutes into 6th period today. Teachers had a quick meeting, where there was some food supplied by the PTA. The JV football coach asked if I was going to be at the game Saturday taking pictures. "Yes, sir. I'll see you on the sidelines." Then, I left right away for the weekend to begin.

I walked to LaFou, where I picked up a few things before catching a bus home. This is about a 30 minute walk all the way to the shopping center. Then, after I made it home I wanted to get some exercise in. Even though I've been a little under the weather and had some sort of virus, working out makes me feel better. Sort of feel like I sweat out some of the impurities. Did part of my "Tight Buns and Killer Legs" video, jogged up and down the Hill, and then took a little jog down the road. Came around a corner and next thing I know there was a black dog on my heels. Ah crap. I yelled "Haloo" right away, which they told us to say to the dogs. It was too late and close for me to pretend to grab a rock. The owners also saw it and called it off. Oye. I haven't had too many run ins with the dogs yet.  I made sure I slowed down and walked past this house on my way back home, though.

This did remind me that I never mentioned the dogs at home one night Hannah and I came back. We walked in on the big driveway, and I usually walk in by the store. Well the whole pack of dogs saw us and barreled toward us, ready to attack. Read all about the vicious dogs of Samoa before I came. Learned my lesson to always walk in by the store, not the big lit up driveway where they all hang out at night. Close enough for me. I'm not scared of them or anything, as in it doesn't stop me from doing what I want to do.

I woke up Saturday morning with the plan of walking all the way to the football stadium for the JV Championship game, which I knew should take me about an hour. Left home a little after 7am, and decided I wold head West first and take the Ili'Ili road, which should be a shorter trip then heading all the way to the Tafuna road. I know there's a big group of dogs down this way, but I figured I could give it a shot. When they saw me, I almost turned around and got on a bus, but then I realized I was inches away from my corner. So, I bent over and grabbed some pop cans and they turned their little tails around and darted away. That's right you dogs. Not stopping me from my big walk this morning.

Made it just before the beginning of the game. I planned that one out well. Took out my camera, and hung out on the sidelines. I knew I would get some good shots today with the natural light and up close action.



Game came down to the last 2 minutes of play, tied 40-40. There were a lot of flags, so it was a long game. It was getting intense.

The crowd was very excited and involved. This is part of the student section.

Tafuna pulled it off and ended up winning 48-40.


This is the head JV coach in the white visor, who I've chatted with a few times. Really nice guy. Congrats to him and the JV football team on winning their 5th Championship game in a row.


Spent 3 hours at the football stadium for this game. Then, I caught the third bus that came by as they were filling up with people after the game. I headed into town, where I ran a few errands including purchasing a pair of sneakers. I had seen these last time I was in Fagatago and was very tempted to buy them. I figured I can get my $19.99 out of them before the end of the year. I wore sneakers like this all the time my senior year of high school, and it felt good to put them on. Rocking my new Asian knock-off Converse. Haha.



One thing I found at the store on Friday afternoon was this Organic Chai Tea Latte concentrate. I love chai tea lattes, and I decided I'd splurge a bit and give it a shot. You just mix it with milk, heat it up, and Voila! Delicious chai tea latte. The warm tea made me feel better, as well. I had one each morning over the weekend, and one in the afternoon, as well. Yum yum yum.

Received a couple of packages in the mail - a care package from my mom and the projector my aunt helped me get for my classroom. Soooo exciting! I haven't used a projector in my classroom since the first week of school, as the one the office has available for use for all the teachers who do not have access to a Smartboard or department projector is hard to get a hold of and apparently seems to be missing today as I write this. Now I have one that just stays in my classroom, that I can use whenever I want. Thank you, Aunt Kristin! This will help change the pace of my classroom and allow me to show my students more of what we are talking about. Everyone knows how much I love pictures :-)

I had lunch in town at DDW Cafe, where I had a nice house salad. Then, after finding out what all was in my packages, which included a Halloween card, some surprises in Chistmas wrapping paper, and a few useful supplies, I took a little nap Saturday afternoon. We were invited over to the volunteer houes in Kokoland for an autumn afternoon. My friend Mike carved a pumpkin, toasted some pumpkin seeds, and made some fall beverages with pumpkin spice and ginger. Delightful stuff. Can't say I've ever eaten toasted pumpkin seeds before, and they were absolutely delicious! We also began a Halloween movie marathon. First up was Hocus Pocus, a classic. I decided to leave after the first movie, as I was already tired and needed to get some good sleep in. Didn't sleep very well Friday night, and I want to get over this cold as soon as possible. I also intended on hitching rides home, avoiding Taxis, so I figured it would be wiser to do that at 7:30 than at 10pm.

Really lucked out, and I mean it. Waiting at the intersection in Kokoland, one of the Tafuna teachers came by and gave Hannah and I a ride to the main road, as they were heading East not West. No problem, we'll figure out a ride the rest of the way. Got Lucky - yep, his name is Lucky. I know Lucky from church, and he drove by heading East but turned around and gave us a ride home. He said we shouldn't be walking at home in the dark. We were not planning on walking home, thank you. Hoping for a ride, and then there he was. He's a nice kid, and I was thankful for the ride in his dad's truck. It was also fun to chat with him outside of church.

Woke up Sunday morning, headed to church, came home and made some pasta with a side of fresh cucumbers. One of my roommates picked up some cucumbers at the market, and they definitely made for a good lunch. I took a little nap and worked on my lessons for the week before going back for evening service at church. Pretty good day before trying to fall asleep before good old Monday morning at school. The weekends always go by too fast, don't they? Relatively speaking, of course.


1 comment:

  1. As usual your football photos are awesome! That pasta and Cucumbers looks healthy and yummy. Why have I never thought do put fresh Cucumbers with pasta? Looks delicious! Hope you are feeling better....and your WELCOME!! If you ever need anything else, just holler....you know that :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete