Thursday, November 15, 2012

Go with the Flow

Think I may have used this title already, but it fits.

I forgot to mention that Friday the senior counselor ended up bringing a college rep from the University of Portland to visit my senior class. Exciting! They put on a nice presentation incorporating a presentation on how students on the island should look for colleges in addition to promoting the great things about their school. I was impressed and found myself thinking about my days of searching for a college and ending up at the perfect place for me - Morningside College. I have more students than I thought interested in applying for college, which is great. I even emailed Morningside and UNL admissions to check if there is any extra step in the process for these students since they live in a territory. Nope. Looks like we could start working on some college applications. Not sure if any of them would actually move to the Midwest, but doesn't hurt to throw my plug in there. I want them to go to the right places for them, obviously.

Week going by really quickly. Found myself playing some catch with the boys after church Wednesday night and having a nice chat with one of the girls. The adult church members had a meeting afterward, so all the youth (plus me) were outside enjoying ourselves. One of the youth who plans on going to seminary (They use the term "Bible college" here) gave the message Wednesday night, which was cool. My friend who assists the Pastor a lot delivered the sermon on Sunday as the pastor is currently in Fiji, where his sister-in-law recently had a baby.

I found myself saying Wednesday that if you can't learn to go with the flow or have your plans change rapidly, you wouldn't survive well in American Samoa. Prime example Wednesday. I had planned to leave right after school at 3:00 to go home and exercise before heading to church. I received a call from the office 5 minutes before the bell rang saying there would be a JV basketball meeting in my classroom. That ended bout 3:40, and I decided I'd wait until 4:00 to catch a ride with a teacher at least part of the way home. These two sisters I have gotten rides with before (who will take us all the way home) saw me and offered me a ride on Wednesday, and I thought "Excellent. A straight ride all the way home." Then, we stopped at an office where they picked up some papers, stopped at the gas station, and then stopped at another office. Made it home around 4:45. Had some nice chats with them along the way, though. Like I said, gotta learn to just let your plan go and go with the flow :-)

Tuesday class went really well. My seniors have been on their best behavior this week. I've also been very impressed with 2nd period lately, whereas 1st period is digressing. Gotta get that wagon turned back around as we are coasting into Thanksgiving break right now. Some more vandalism - this time with books, one a textbook and one a novel I had sitting on the shelf for students to borrow. I've been having some good discussions about it with my classes, except 1st period. At the end of the period, I had the smile on my face. No matter how much the students may erk me off sometimes, I don't let it get to me. Hope to have this all straightened out one of these days, encouraging respectful adults they know they can be.

I find it hard to understand the disconnect sometimes that I am witnessing here. My students know that they should respect one another and be grateful for the things they have. They constantly tell me how they thank God and their parents for all they have done, but then they go and vandalize things and show disrespect. Where does that turning point happen? It can't simply be teenagers gone wild. Hmmmm... may continue to be an unsolved mystery. Disconnect. Well, I will continue to model the behavior I expect of normal functioning human beings. I know that I am making some sort of impression on them, no matter if they want to admit it or even realize it.

Thursday morning was "Career Day" hosted by the Vocational Department. All sorts of guest speakers on campus, and a guy who works for the office of Samoan Affairs was in my classroom. He basically just told the students his life story from high school until now. Sounded like there were some cool presentations going on, though. Out early tomorrow for an assembly in preparation for the Championship football game on Saturday. Tafuna lost in the Championship last year, so we shall see if they can keep their undefeated record come Saturday.

Last note: Yay for double workout Tuesday and Thursdays again. I've been tearing it up. haha I also help put all the tables and benches back to where they are supposed to be for lunch after we have Zumba class each Tuesday and Thursday as I wait with Erica. First couple times those things felt a bit heavy or awkward to carry but not anymore :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment