Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Working Wednesday

Before I start writing about my Wednesday, I have posted a little video tour of my classroom before I did any arranging.


Before going in to work at school this morning, I had plans to do a little supply shopping. Got on the bus at 7:45am and rode down to LaFou Center. I had two plans - (1) shop at Forsgren's to pick up fabric and school supplies (2) stop in at Blue Sky for the $5 KS Mart voucher I apparently won. Arrived at about 8am to find that Blue Sky did not open until 8:30 and Forsgren's 9am. I decided I'd hang out at the Koko Bean (a little coffee shop), which is owned by one of the ladies I met at church. I met two gentlemen that work at the airport, and they had seen me walking around Pava'ia'i, and we had a great conversation until 8:45 when I ran my errands. I had an iced vanilla latte. Doesn't it look fancy? The guys I met told me that they eat breakfast here every morning because of the complimentary cocoa rice, and you see that in my photo below, as well. It was pretty good. Robert was explaining to me how their cocoa is a bit crunchier than what we have in the States. This is true, but it was good.

Turns out Robert saw me one day before I turned around as there was a big group of dogs ahead. He said he was about ready to come see if I needed a ride when he noticed I turned around. He gave me his card and said I can call him anytime if I ever need help. He lives pretty close to where I do, too. He was also interested in checking out my blog, so I gave him my address. I'm sure I will be seeing more of Robert and Gil(I think that was his name. I'm meeting so many people, sometimes hard to keep up.) I mean they drive right past my school on their way to work from breakfast. Kinda lucked out that I came to LaFou early like I did, but had a great conversation with these guys who spent a fair amount of time in the US but were both raised in American Samoa and have recently returned. Oh, and Robert is running in the elections this year. He said he had served before, as well. He studied political science in his undergrad work.

One more thing about these two guys quick, when I said I was from Nebraska the first thing they said was "home of the Cornhuskers". I replied, "Yep, Go Big Red." haha They said they know some people that went to school there.

Then I ran my errands including picking up some fabric to use in my classroom.


I spent some time covering my bulletin boards, but I have some more to add. Sorry, you can't see them yet.

I did clip a few things out of the newspaper that I wanted to hang on my boards. One is an article about NASA and Mars. Think I might try to incorporate "science in the news" in my classroom.

I did hang up some curtains. Yes, I know they are not way at the top, but I noticed them hanging like this in another teacher's classroom. It makes sense, because it helps block out things at eye level; for instance, any distractions walking outside the classroom. We'll see how it goes. I can always change things. This is the one peek you all get on how my classroom is coming along.

I realized that I had dropped one of my sandals somewhere between getting off the bus and walking into my classroom. haha Not fun. I only have two pairs of shoes here. I noticed one was sticking out of my bag as I walked from the bus but figured I'd make it onto campus. Well, I walked back out and found it on the sidewalk. Phew. haha I met some Math teachers and the principal and chatted with them a bit.

A group of World Teachers met up at Mom's Place for lunch, which was good. I had a tuna salad sandwich with veggie salad and iced tea. This is the place I mentioned on my birthday (the family that gave us a ride home and sang me happy birthday). "Mom" wasn't in, so maybe I'll get my chance to say hi to her next time.

So I saw Fred again today (the freshman I chatted with a bit yesterday). He sat down in one of my desks, and we talked about football, snow, Nebraska, and my hobby of photography.

I got my hands on an Earth Science textbook from my Department Head today, and it looks like fun. Will be a bit of a a change of pace for me, but I'm excited. He teaches Chemistry and Physics. Has a nice lab/classroom. Another successful day before heading out at 4:30. Ate some more boiled bananas for dinner. They're pretty decent. I was a rather picky eater when I was little, but thank goodness I grew out of that. I'll try just about anything, now. Not sure if boiled bananas at home would be the same, though.

One last thing. I now have a physical mailing address down here in case anyone is interested. Mail is always fun. Things take about 1.5-2 weeks to come from Nebraska down here and vice versa.

Jessica Boschen
P.O. Box 2596
Pago Pago
American Samoa 96799

I chatted with my friend Matt a bit via Facebook tonight. Finally, someone was on when I was on. About 7pm here and 1am for him. He and his girlfriend are backpacking through Europe at the end of August. Here's a photo of Matt and I from junior year:

2 comments:

  1. Just a random comment...the one fan in the video was wickedly fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss u............this was an awesome post. I love you.

    ReplyDelete