Friday, August 3, 2012

Simple Day

Checked my email this morning and enjoyed the quote for the day, which I would like to share:

"Think of life as a gigantic ice cream parlor with infinite flavors to taste. Tell yourself the goal of life is to taste as many flavors of experience as you can. Admittedly, you won't like every flavor. But hey, you don't need to go near that flavor ever again. Instead, indulge in flavors you know you're passionate about! And don't be afraid to taste something that might look a little funny -- you never know." -Karen Salmansohn

After some further discussion with our Field Director on the subject of moving day, we had a presentation from two women - fa'afafines to be exact. It was really interesting to understand some of the gender roles of the society and learn more about things I had only briefly read about before leaving for this nation. Then, we worked on our in country mission statement for the year. Each WorldTeach cohort writes their own mission statement at the beginning of each new school year.

After lunch we had some free time, but I did not really have any errands to run; I decided to stick around campus and begin some of the tidying up we needed to take care of before moving. I finished reading a book while some water boiled, cut out some box-tops for education, and simply enjoyed the little bit of alone time. After I took care of a few chores I decided to get in a workout for the day, which felt good. I have also been stretching a bit every night before I go to bed.

Then, it was time for the WorldTeach donation giveaway! The volunteers from last year left behind some items that could be of use to our new group, and we randomly drew numbers, walked into the room, grabbed an item we wanted, and then waited for the next round. I was #3 the first round and snagged a snorkel and mask. Below you will see a photo of my grabs from the day including a clipboard, frisbee, puzzle, dress, lunch bag, and a few notebooks. All useful for the year and then some :-) It was a lot of fun. Reminded us all a bit of a garage sale (but everything was free). We also collected some dish towels and t-shirts we will be turning into dish rags for our apartment. I will be living with Andrea (the fellow Nebraskan) and Hannah (from California).

It may not seem like I did a whole lot today, but it was a good Thursday. By the way, I am super looking forward to the adventures of Friday. Gonna leave you all hanging with what that all entails until the next post after it has all taken place. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great day! That is really neat how they did the donation giveaway. Looks like you scored pretty good :) Have a great weekend Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote happy birthday on Facebook but I thought I would extend it to your blog; its probably not actually your birthday there yet but it is here so ha! I hope you have a wonderful day. So 22, do you feel old now? Oh man, I will be 23 here in few months, I can't frickin believe it! But anyhoo, be sure to give me your address when you do get moved in so I can send you something. Have an GREAT day, I miss you! :)

    ReplyDelete