Friday, May 31, 2013

Terrific Thursday

All classes were on the schedule Thursday morning, 30 minutes each, with a dismissal scheduled for noon. Went to grab our breakfast from the kitchen. Lately they've been sending us up with a few plates full of food for the 5 of us WorldTeachers. The ladies that say hello to me have started giving us way more fruit than necessary, so I usually end up taking some of that home. I do love my fruit. They also gave us a whole case of milk today, which was absolutely not necessary. Ended up sharing them with students.


For the past few weeks, this is where weekday breakfast has taken place - up in Ms. Hammersmith's room.


 As to be expected no one really showed up for class. Finals all done, but I did have some boys that came and hung out in my room for part of the morning (up until lunch at 10am). They were playing cards, just laying around, and singing. At one point they sang "The Lion Sleeps Tonight". That sure was cool to hear. They did a fine job.


As we had left with our breakfast in the morning, Talita told me if I wanted more oranges or anything to come get them. I stopped by during lunch and just asked for a couple, but she filled me up with a plate of 11. I snacked on one, and then put the rest in my bag to take home. I think we have more than enough to last our remaining days. Hannah is here a few days past me.


The final bell ended up ringing at 11 am, right after the lunch shifts. Hooray! No more having to just sit here to sit here. Time to head to town for $1 Taco Thursday at Evalani's in Pago Pago. Hannah and I had been hoping to get to do this one more time after meeting up with Lilian and Heidi Uele for lunch here one day. So good, only real tacos on island, and cheap! Yeah!


Here we are enjoying our iced tea, and our scrumptious tacos on their plates.


Here's an artsy fun photo I took of some of my toppings that fell off the top and were lying on my plate before I scooped them up with nacho chips.


Our waitress actually happened to be Auntie Tai's niece. When we were with the Te'o family on Monday, we mentioned Taco Thursday. Tai said she was going to tell her family that works there we might be coming. When I asked the waitress if she knew Tai, she said, "Yes, then you're the WorldTeachers." haha

Then, we asked if they had any dessert. I had wondered if fried ice cream was here at all. I always think of fried ice cream when I think of Mexican food. Our waitress said she would go check if they had any fried ice cream. "If you have any, I would love some. :-)" After a while, here she came back with a dish of fried ice cream for us. Absolutely delicious, too! A little different from any fried ice cream I've had before. Almost tasted like a churro surrounding the fried ice cream. A little crunch on the outermost layer, but then some sponginess before hitting the ice cream in the middle. Mmm. Don't even remember the last time I had fried ice cream.


Kicked it in my sneakers today. I knew I was going to be doing some walking, and with it looking ominous out, I didn't want to end up ruining my last pair of flip-flops I want to wear home thanks to muddy water on the ground. Good decision, on my part.

After lunch, I popped into the National Park Visitor Center. I had plans to do this to visit my ranger friends one more time before my flight. Today was my lucky day. The entire Interpretation Division was actually there, a very rare thing. Pa'i had just left to run an errand, but I waited. I told them I didn't mind, and Eymard also said how Pa'i would want to see me. Mutual :-) Ranger Sam is back from Hawaii. He had been finishing his degree. He was the other ranger that had presented the first time I saw a National Park presentation here. I got to chat with him some while we were waiting for Pa'i to return.

Range Pua said some very kind things about how I gave up time to bring even small groups of students to the center and the park itself after school hours. He's actually on a flight off the island for a trip tonight as I write this, meaning had I waited until Friday to make my visit to the office, I would have not gotten to see the whole division

I also was finally formally introduced to Chief Michael. I've seen him when I've been at the office. He thanked me for encouraging so many students to come out. Pa'i then came out with a little pile of "me alofas" for me. Gifts from the National Park. They wanted to thank me. I'm so thankful for them. This was too sweet. Pa'i knew how much I adored the National Park fabric, so she had a National Park i'e for me. I also received a pin that Ranger Pua had suggested and a copy of the "Natural History Guide to American Samoa." So cool of them. I had the biggest smile on my face as I walked back down the road to catch my bus home after that. So glad I made this trip in to see them all, and I can't believe I got to see all of them and meet the chief. One of the guys from maintenance took a photo of me with the whole division, and Eymard promised to send me that one. Soon as he does I'll add it to a post. :-) They've been such great inspirations to me this year. I do hope to grow up and be like them some day. Hope?... how about plan :-)


Pa'i and Eymard both already knew about my dream to work for the Interpretation Division of the National Park somewhere at some point in my life. Now the whole division here knows. They all hope I come back some day and keep in touch. I assured them I would. These are some special people in this special place. Ranger friends, if you are reading this you'll catch my nice phrase there. I've seen your presentation many a times. "A National Park is a special place..." :-) I am going to miss seeing them around and feel so honored to have worked with them on some projects with my students - from my school field trip, to presentations in my classroom, to visits to the Center, to all their kind words. Thank you, all! Also gave and received some big hugs before I walked out their door.

I even posted another thank you on their Facebook page: "Thank you all so much for your kindness today. I am so thankful for getting to work with you on different projects with the students. I really will miss seeing you all around, but I will stay in touch and hope to see you again!" When I came home to work on my blog, I had a response: "Keep in touch Jessica! You'll always have a home here in American Samoa. "

As I was on the bus ride home, it seemed to be slower than usual. I think it seemed this way as I was realizing this may very well be the last time I ride an aiga bus all the way from town home. I was soaking in the mountains, the ocean spray, and smiling most of the way home. Enjoying it, not getting sad about it. Also enjoying the random music that is blared. Only palagi on the bus, and I'm sure some giggled if they could see me singing along and smiling out the window.

Had some time to sit on my computer a bit, check a few things, and then it was time to head to the gym for my last Zumba session with my American Samoa Zumba family. I was ready to crank it up a notch and have the most fun yet! Got there, did a few songs down on the floor, then I decided now was the time to just jump on stage and lead with Peteru. He and the Zumba girls have said before that I should really consider getting my license. Boy, it sure was fun being up there with him. I've learned from some fo the best instructors ever, and I did feel comfortable up there. Sure had to keep my brain focused on going left first instead of right, as I am the mirror of everyone on the floor.

A bunch of the gang down on the floor were smiling when they saw me up there, gave me compliments afterward, including Emma who just recently received her license. I saw her sneaking some photos, and she was thinking when I started coming down after one that, "Girl you should just stay up there." I was for the entire class minus the first two songs and our stretching at the end.

Then, before we began our last number before the cool down stretch, Teru gave a few malo (thank you comments) about how this was my last session with them all, how I had been a WorldTeacher, and wishing me the best. Ah shucks.

This was the sweatiest I had been at a Zumba session ever. I don't know if it was hotter up on stage, if I was just pushing that much, enjoying myself so much, or what. Man almighty. Sweaty hug for Teru and Emma afterward, two of my Zumba mentors and friends :-) It was a really great session, fun being up on stage, testing the waters of what it feels like to be an instructor, sweating up a storm, smiling the whole way through, and ending on a high note. I will miss my Zumba family, as I have said before.

Came home, showered up, and got ready to head to the senior prom. Lucky for us it was taking place at one of the facilities at a church just a few minutes walk from our apartment.  Here are four of us WorldTeachers that went. One did not attend from our school, but it was cool to go see.


Walked around right away finding some of my students and snapping photos. They were finishing up dinner when we arrived. This is Teru's nephew and niece. Lilo on the left was one of my students, and Tepora on the right often helped with check-in at Zumba class.


Here's a shot of the whole dining area and the stage up front. Here they do what they call the "royal procession", where many of the seniors names were called and couples walked down the stage. This took insanely long since there were so many students. Not all of them participated in this part.


Naomi and Tavini were two of my A students in Marine Science, and Angeline on the right was a good friend of theirs I have also come to know.


The theme at this prom was gold and white, so all outfits were comprised of some gold and white. Cool to see all the dress designs girls came up with here. One does not just go shopping for a prom dress at the store like I did. One designs her dress and has it custom made here.



A fun little evening. As the "boogie time" was beginning, we teachers decided to head home. Getting close to our bed times anyway. haha 10:15pm as I finish my blog post for the night. Yep, past my bed time. ;-)

Hope you all are having a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment