Monday, April 15, 2013

My Weekend and Some Thoughts

Forgot to mention in my last post that I realized how old my SLR camera is. I have a Nikon D70, and Ranger Pa'i had a Nikon D700. Do the math. My "fancy" camera is rather old. Boy, it was so cool to have hers in my hands for a while. What a noticeable difference. Makes me want to start saving up to invest in a new SLR now. Mine still works fine, and I am very thankful for it. Lovely gift and hand-me-down from Aunt Kristin. I think I will start saving up, though. Might take me a while, but some day. I could maybe even use the lenses I already have on the new one and just find me a new camera body. Little photography thoughts for you first, today.

Can I just say one thing I am looking forward to being able to do when I make it to Omaha? I am really looking forward to rounding up some clothes that fit. My pants like to slide down a bit when I exercise, my skirts don't sit on my hips, and my t-shirts are baggy. I know I know... it may sound like I'm rubbing in the fact that I've lost weight, but seriously have you ever tried to teach a class of 25 high school students with a skirt that doesn't like to stay up. Always wear shorts underneath, but... haha. Thought that might make you laugh. Found myself saying this Friday morning while walking on campus. Leaving these clothes behind, see what I have at home, and then its 2nd hand and clearance shopping for me. Just a nice little wardrobe. I'm more of a minimalist now. Always should have been.

I had the idea to ask my really artistic football player to draw the NPS emblem for me on a sheet of paper. I knew he would add his personal style to it, and I really like it. Cool, huh?


After school Friday, I walked to Nu'uuli Falls. I had been thinking about going for a while and finally decided to make the little trip back there again. Here is a little video clip to show you some of the little rainforest I hiked through to get there.


Sadly, I don't think I will be returning to the falls again. People are leaving more and more litter out there and it disgusted me. This was one of my favorite spots to sit and think, but it was just sad this time. I said farewell to Nu'uuli Falls after sitting for about 45 minutes and heading home.

Then, one day when I was recipe searching I saw the idea to make PB&J french toast by simply making a PB&J sandwich, dip it in the eggs, and cook it up. Well, after having a successful try with the ripe banana mush instead of eggs, I figured applesauce would work, as well. It did, indeed. Here she be, my PB&J french toast dipped in applesauce. Mmm.


Zumba class had been cancelled on Thursday this week, but Erica substituted it with a class early Saturday morning. 6am Zumba session - a great way to start a Saturday. My three Samoan Zumba ladies all happened to wear the same shirt that morning, so I insisted on taking their photo. Mari (left) teaches some classes, works with my landlord, and recently has lost 40 lbs after moving back down to American Samoa. Erica (middle) is one of my main instructors who pounds iron and always gives me a lift home. Emma (right) has helped lead some songs and recently became a certified Zumba instructor. Peteru was not present this Saturday, but he is awesome, as well. They are all a lot of fun and enjoy exercise, like this crazy girl. I'm going to miss this Zumba class when I move.


Since I took the photo for the ladies, Mari insisted on taking one of me with Erica and Emma. It reminded me of the photo I took with Erica back at a Zumbathon in November. Nice comparison photo, I realized. Left - Nov. 10, 2012, one of my first months with Erica and Peteru's Zumba class. Right - Apr. 13, 2013 - check out how ripped Erica's arms are and my smaller figure.


I remember when I posted the photo on the left on my Facebook page back in Novemeber, I got some comments rom home on how I was losing weight. At that point I was only doing Zumba and The Firm and eating decently healthy. I didn't start up Insanity until February. It's almost hard for me to believe how I've become so much more fit. Sorry you all habe to hear about that so much in my blog, but it's part of my life now, and I know I have inspired some others to live healthier lives. Months of Zumba, a few months of Insanity, healthy eating, and a whole lot of sweat and determination. That's what has led to these physical changes.

Mari ended up giving me a ride home after our 6am Zumba Saturday morning. In her schnazzy sports car. I felt so fancy riding home in that thing. haha Don't see very many of those on the island.


Was nice and energized and decided to get the scheduled Insanity workout in for the day soon as I came home. Oh yeah :-) Showered up, and then headed into town with Hannah for some breakfast. We went to DDW, which is where we have been going lately and enjoyed my short stack of pancakes with some iced tea. Man, I know it's always so cold in there, but it's no fun sittin their with goosebumps and not being able to really enjoy my breakfast and chat more. Realized this after I ended up chilling at Matai Restaurant for a bit after the 10 minute walk that way. I also realized the coffe is only $1 there rather than the $2.50 at DDW. Now I remember why I loved going to Matai so much. Cheap, delicious, and not so stinking cold inside! haha Told Hannah that is where we have to go for breakfast next time. I know the last time we were there it seemed their pancake batter was a bit different, but this is where I want to go next time. Save money, save shivering, good coffee, and comforting.


Next, I grabbed a bus into Tafuna, hopped off, and walked about 35 minutes down the road, past the blowholes, and along the airport runway to airport beach. I was meeting up with a few friends to enjoy a beach afternoon. I'm still a mountain girl, but I do indeed do the beach thing from time to time.


So, this is where I hung out for about 2.5 hours on Saturday. I was intending on working a bit on my island color, ended up pinking over a bit, as I was a tad sweaty from the walk when I applied the sunscreen. Very minor, though. So many people think I'm going to come back super tan, but that is not the case. Yes, I live on an island, but you can't really walk around in your swimsuit all day long here. Actually very few places where that is really socially acceptable - airport beach being one of them, as locals don't trek out that way. It was actually a great day to lay on the beach as there was a little breeze, so I wasn't just laying there sweating the whole time. ha


Then, I walked back on the trail toward the road, where I ended up being offered a ride to the Tafuna road. Thankful for that. The guys gave me a Mountain Dew, which I really didn't want but kindly accepted. I started walking down the Tafuna road, figured it would take me about an hour to walk all the way home. I had no time constraints, was nice and leisurely, and it was partly cloudy so the sun wasn't pounding down on me. As for that Mt. Dew, I didn't want to just toss it, and I thought about taking it home and putting it in my fridge for a day when I really felt like it... but, I really don't like soda and it's on my encouragement list to not drink any. I decided if I found a kid to give it to, I would let them have it. Found one, offered it, he shook his head, I said I got it for free and didn't want it, he took it, and it looked like it made his day. :-)

Ran a few errands along my nice walk home along the slightly busy road, and then decided to pull into this Manaia Restaurant for some iced tea and a little something as I wasn't ready to go home yet. Another Chinese restaurant. There sure are a lot of those here. I felt like I should order some food, thought about asking about desserts, but then decided on just some spring rolls. Ugh, I forgot how greasy those things are. I wasn't hungry enough for all of them, and the guy ended up packaging them to go. I didn't really intend on finishing them later, and there happened to be a boy walking by as I left the restaurant. I said, "here, you can have this - my gift to you." He had a big smile on his face as he said thank you. :-)

Then, oh boy did I feel that greasy unhealthyness lately. Apparently my healthy body didn't appreciate that little snack too well. haha. I had already thought about doing some Core Cardio and Balance (Insanity recovery week workout) when I made it back home as I knew I had plenty of time, and that weird feeling from the spring rolls sealed the deal. Felt good to sweat it out and work my core before sitting around in my room, working on some photos and enjoying a little Star Wars before bed.

Sunday morning I made another little pancake experiment. Watermelon pancakes. Yes, I put some watermelon in my pancake batter, and I liked it :-) Plain ole pancakes are probably still my favorite, with the fruit on the side, but it's been fun experimenting. Who knows what I will try next. Cucumber? Hmmm... maybe.... maybe not. That one maybe sounds weird. haha


Pastor Jim who works in Savai'i was back to preach Sunday morning and Sunday night. Richard did the Sunday school lesson. All good messages today, and then we had some fellowship after the evening service. Miss Teima brought some pani popo! When she picked it up she knew I would be excited. Indeed. Enjoyed 1.5 pieces of that. Richard also shared half a piece of cheesecake with me. That's how we stay fit, we share. First thing when he showed up Sunday night he walks over to me and gives me a high five. Said he saw a photo on Facebook and could tell I really lost some weight. Double take looking at the photos. haha. I also had a really great conversation with my friend Lilian as we sat there. I mean we talk, but this was a full conversation. Really enjoyed it.  Hope you all have a fabulous week! I have some fun cultural stuff coming up this week, so stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe Aunt Kristin needs to hand you down a newer one :) I am so happy that you have put that old girl to such good use. :) Love the car by the way. Nice ride.

    ReplyDelete