Sunday, January 20, 2013

Hanging out

First, yes you are still in the right place if you are interested in following the ins and outs of my experience in American Samoa. I changed the background of my blog for fun. I know it can throw you off, but this is indeed the blog written by Jessica Boschen of Newman Grove, NE :-)

Karen, my new friend from Missouri, who stayed a few nights with us and spoke to our classes on Wednesday flew back on the Thursday night flight. Hawaiian Airlines flies out of Pago Pago twice a week on red-eye flights. It was really great meeting her, hanging out with her, chatting, and having her as a guest in my classroom. She has had some really cool life experiences already and is a year younger than I am. I got her to take a photo with Hannah and I as we were just chatting on the porch before she left.


Finally took a photo of a panikeke to post on my blog. Sorta a pancake ball. One of my coworkers usually has a bag of them with him every morning and will offer them to us when we clock in each morning. I take one every now and then. One of the other teachers even made a comment on Friday that if we eat them we'll look more Samoan. Haha

Ended up getting a ride home Friday with a lady named Ed who works for the power authority. (Ed is actually short for her long Samoan name.) She was really friendly and knew the teachers that were here last year living where I do now. Got in my Insanity workout for the day and then headed into town, where some of us were meeting up to celebrate a few birthdays. The plan was to eat at Evalani's - a restaurant with Mexican food, but when we arrived they told us they had some remodeling being done so the kitchen was closed. Alright then. We headed to the next closest place - the Sadie Thompson Inn, where I had some tempura battered mushrooms. Yum. The gathering Friday night oddly turned out being all science teachers, actually all but one of us were present. It was a fun little night with some 80s music in the background, quiet room, fun conversation, and randomness.

I spent the night at the house where the volunteers live in town as I wanted to check mail in the morning. I knew I would wake up earlier than everyone else, so I had already discussed with them what time to meet up at the post office as I would head out and do a few other things beforehand. Oye, I slept even less than I anticipated thanks to the giant groups of dogs that fought all night. Boy were they loud and annoying. I really wish I would have recorded the sound for you. They were obnoxious.

Woke up at 6am (Yes, on a Saturday. haha). I decided it would be nice to do the little nature walk up to Blunt's Point first thing. The trail head is only a few minutes walk from the house in Gatavai. I took a few pictures on my little trip up there.

I thought this was a nice shot of the road along the coast with some natural framing:

Here's some trees framing the flower pot island in a little "nature window":

Was nice to sit up at the lookout point for a while and take in the view. It looked different at 7am. I really liked the waves around the flowerpot island at this time. Something really calming about it.

I also did a little reading while I was sitting up there with this as my backdrop:

 The sun was also peeking over some clouds for a while, and then when it finally came all the way out I decided to move down the trail a ways to some shade. Read for about a half hour or so before I decided to move again.

 Next stop one of the public fales in Utulei:

Then, I decided I was ready for breakfast. I headed to Matai restaurant in Fagatago for a short stack of pancakes and a few cups of coffee. Sat at a bus stop for a while after that reading some more before it was time to meet up with the others to check the mail. Got the box from home I was expecting which had the things I asked for - including some Golden Oreos (a little treat) and a few surprises - including some more books (courtesy of my dad this time). Sure hope I can finish all these books before the end of the year. I love my little library. Simply having them sitting in my room makes it feel even more homey.

After the double Insanity workout on the schedule when I came back home (Pure Cardio and Cardio Abs), I had a nice little snack. Slices of orange with a few of my Golden Oreos and a glass of ricemilk. The workout felt really good on Saturday. Week two of nine complete. It is going to be March 9th in no time.

Sunday morning I received a giant banana from Miss Tia. Delicious banana for breakfast on our way to church, and then she gave me another one, which I saved for later. On the left side of this photo you see a rather normal sized banana. On the right you see the banana on steroids. Probably the biggest banana I've ever seen. My hand is also in this photo for comparisons. 

Got a little cardio workout in later Sunday afternoon otherwise just spent some time hanging out much like I did Saturday afternoon and evening. Nice weekend. I loved the feeling of accomplishing so much already by 8:30am on Saturday morning. As I was sitting in Utulei, I found myself thinking how odd my American brain found it to see kids out swimming in the ocean already at 8am. haha. Most people wake up early here, so I sorta fit right in with that.

Here's a picture I found on my computer of a student and me. This is Sheila. I have subbed for her Chemistry class before and she often hangs out in my room before school and during lunch. She's started reading my blog and says I should write a book. haha I've had a few other people tell me that, but my blog is basically my journal and a way of staying in touch with people back home. This picture is from a few months ago I believe. My hair is at my shoulders. Gonna be the longest I've let it get by the time I make it home in June.


That reminds me. I have a flight officially booked for home. Prices were decent right now and from what I've heard the flights in June fill up fast leaving this island. I have it set so I will have time to see friends and family, catch up, run some errands, and relax a bit before the road trip to Houston, TX for my cousin's wedding. Super excited for Seth and Kathryn! Still 4.5 months away, but these 4.5 months are going to be over before I know it. Already 10% done with classes for the semester, I have 2 out of the 9 weeks of the Insanity program complete, and days keep flying by. My ticket says I will be landing in Omaha on Wednesday, June 5th at 12:30pm for anyone who needs proof that I am indeed coming back to Nebraska. :-)

I jumped around a bit toward the end of this post, but I hope you all have a great week. Just another good day in the life for me.

1 comment:

  1. Yaaaaaawwwhhhhhhhooooooooo!!!!! :) that last part was music to my ears. Super excited for the wedding too. You nieces and nephews sure keep me busy. :).

    ReplyDelete