Friday, September 7, 2012

Books, Dinner, and Buses

Wednesday morning woke up, did a few things, and then off to school. Rode with our Florida friends (first time that's happened in a while as they had been working nights for a while). Did a world map activity with my Earth and Space Science class utilizing the latitude and longitude system. This lesson just flew by for some reason. In Marine Science class we discussed two coastal marine environments - the sandy beach and the rocky coast. I turned in another textbook inventory this morning per the department head's request, and to my surprise here came two boys with a set of Earth Science books for my classroom after the final bell of the day. Yay! got some textbooks after 4 weeks of school. haha Nice to finally have some books to put on the bookshelves in my classroom. I was a bit excited :-)


By the way, I had a good chat with my 2nd period (which is one of my rowdiest bunches), and they were so well behaved on Wednesday. Looks like I said something right. Same goes for Thursday, so good feeling to have them more on track.

Went to Cost U Less for a few things and decided I'd try to take the bus the other way as far as he would take me and then walk. Well, I don't know if he didn't fully understand, but boy did I get a bus ride. We went farther than I even thought the buses went. All the way into Vaitogi, then he dropped me off in Pava'ia'i. Think he thought I was confused. haha. No some locals told me to try it. Oh well, life's an adventure and I gave it a shot. Some of my students were also on that bus wondering what I was doing.

Made it home and then decided to do a solo workout as my normal workout buddies were working later. Pulled out my "Tight Buns and Killer Legs" DVD. The summer that I worked in the Environmental Department at Lindsay, I did this workout every day when I came home from work. I really enjoy the combination of strength conditioning and cardio blasts. Didn't sweat as much as I have been with Insanity but still quite a bit. I also did a few ab exercises, and then I decided I'd jog up the hill (yeah, the steep one). Made it all the way to the guys' driveway before I turned and walked back down. Finished with a few more abs and push-ups. (Trying to work on my push-up skills after my poor attempt with my seniors. haha) Was sweating again as I made it back home. Successful solo workout.

Then, it was time to shower and help get ready for our family dinner night. One of our friends is moving back to the states, so it was a little going away gathering for him. We also had invited over the guys from up the hill as they've been helping us out a bunch and just being good friends. Good food and good company. We sat right out on the porch of the apartment. This is a photo of the whole group. Thank you mini tripod and self timer.


Thursday morning we got a ride on a legit Tafuna bus that came by, so a bus ride all the way to school for $1. Several of my students on this bus also got on this bus. I had seen it go by the other day and wondered about it. Good timing. Used the Earth Science textbooks today by reading aloud and following along in the book together as I showed them how I take notes. Trying to help with the skills of picking out important information and paraphrasing. Nice to have the books for this. Before they just had to believe whatever I said and wrote on the board, now they could see where I was pulling some of the information from. Great lesson if I do say so myself.

My seniors got on my nerves a bit today, and some of my students next period noticed. They said I looked exhausted. Haha, but it went away and overall a good day. Every day is a good day :-) Zumba after school! There were a few more today than the other day and we exercised longer. Got a ride home with the counselor again, I worked on a few things, and then decided to do the "Buns and Legs" workout again (plus some abs and some push-ups). Double workout again. I also was in the mood to do some coloring tonight, so I took out the coloring book I had my mom send. You may laugh, but I love feeling like a kid sometimes. One year for Christmas I kept telling my grandma that all I wanted was some coloring books. haha A different way to relax and get lost for a little while. Besides, I'm a little ahead of the game on some lessons today, so I was entitled to some coloring :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment