Sunday, January 27, 2013

Out of the House with Friends

Friday was a really good day at school for me as I didn't teach the same thing all day like I usually do. I flip flopped some lessons, and it was a nice change of pace. The day was over before I knew it. Made it home, got my workout in, and then I went to the first youth night church had in a while. A few of the high schoolers kept inviting me to come, and I finally decided this was the Friday I would go check it out.

The Tongan boys picked me up and we headed there around 6pm, where the boys played football for a while and I chatted with a few of the girls. Then, we headed inside to play a few games before having the Bible lesson. I enjoyed being there, and it was nice to see them all enjoying themselves.

Leave the church around 9pm, and then Richard asks me what I'm going to do when I get home. Probably read my book for a while and go to sleep. He said he had to take his siblings back to Leloaloa, which is a village past town, and said they were going to stop at the market for some food; he asked if I wanted to join. I did, and it was really fun to hang out with the group outside of church.   We had some Samoan banana "smoothies", which looked like really mashed up banans to me (maybe blended) with some nuts in it. It was good. I never really knew what was being sold at all the Samoan food vendors, as all the words were in Samoan. Next time I might be a little more brave and try some random things. We also had some panikekes. Last time I mentioned this I may have said deep fat fried pancake ball, but I have thought of a better comparison. They are funnel cake balls. After the drive out there, stop, and drive back, I rolled back into home around 10:45pm. Full night and enjoyable time. I've been meaning to get out of the house more after spending a decent amount of time there the past few weekends.

Saturday morning slept in a little, and then Hannah and I headed to Sualua's for our breakfast. I tried their short stack made from homemade batter today. Definitely something a little different about them, and they were yummy. A little different texture. We ended up sitting in the cafe for 2.5 hours. Felt like we were back in Apia. We take our time eating, slowly drink our iced tea, and then keep chatting and chatting and before we know it it's 11am.

Completed week #3 of Insanity Saturday afternoon before relaxing for the afternoon. I joined my friends Melanie and Dan for dinner at the Koko Bean, where I enjoyed some mashed potatoes and a side green salad. We chatted there for a while and then hopped over to Toa for some dessert. We ordered one of each they had on the menu that night (chocolate cheesecake, German chocolate cake, and banana cream pie) and passed them around sharing all three.

We were meeting up with Frank and Josh (our Florida friends that work with one of the phone companies) and a few other teacher friends for Josh's birthday. We all sat, chatted, and enjoyed ourselves at Toa for a while, and then went and did a little dancing. I'm glad I decided to go out again and hang out with a nice group of people. I hadn't really seen Frank and Josh since November maybe, even though they live just up the hill from me. haha

Sunday was a bum it day - slept in, did a little chatting with friends back home including a Skype session with Cassie, and took a nap. I woke up from my nap to a beautiful rain and little thunderstorm. I forgot how much I love nice thunderstorms. Something relaxing about them, and the rain can be very calming. Then, I decided I wanted to get a little exercise in so worked out my lower body with The Firm's "Tight Buns and Killer Legs". Hadn't done that one in a while. It was funny when I started doing this one after my Insanity workout on Saturday, but then I stopped after the warm-up because it seemed so slow after doing what I just did. haha

Have a great week everyone! It will be interesting having a full work week for me after a 3-day one last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment